I’m a passionate software engineer and researcher who loves hacking and collaborating at the intersection of several disciplines.
My area of expertise overlaps with location-aware computing, distributed systems, databases, data structures, network protocols and information security.
I'm currently working as an associate professor at Heig-vd.
Previously, I worked as a research scientist in the Information Security and Privacy Lab of the University of Lausanne.
Prior to that, I completed a PhD in Information Systems, where my research resulted in a thesis entitled "Three Temporal Perspectives on Decentralized Location-aware Computing: Past, Present, Future" .
I also worked for several years in statups and as a freelance, successfully completing numerous projects in geospatial, public transportion and watch making companies.
Early in my career, I have been exposed to extreme programming (XP) and open source development, which taught me the importance of test automation, build reproducibility and continuous integration.
I believe these practices greatly contribute at establishing a productive development environment.
I often experienced first hand the ups and downs of being (too?) curious, but I’m not getting tired of learning yet!
List of publications
- Bertil Chapuis, Olamide Omolola, Mauro Cherubini, Mathias Humbert, Kévin Huguenin. An Empirical Study of the Use of Integrity Verification Mechanisms for Web Subresources. Proceedings of The Web Conference 2020, 34–45, 2020, .
- Arielle Moro, Vaibhav Kulkarni, Pierre-Adrien Ghiringhelli, Bertil Chapuis, Kévin Huguenin, Benoît Garbinato. Breadcrumbs: A Rich Mobility Dataset with Point-of-Interest Annotations. Proceedings of the 27th ACM SIGSPATIAL International Conference on Advances in Geographic Information Systems, 508–511, 2019, .
- Mauro Cherubini, Alexandre Meylan, Bertil Chapuis, Mathias Humbert, Igor Bilogrevic, Kévin Huguenin. Towards Usable Checksums: Automating the Integrity Verification of Web Downloads for the Masses. 25th ACM SIGSAC Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS), 1256–1271, 2018, .
- Vaibhav Kulkarni, Arielle Moro, Bertil Chapuis, Benoît Garbinato. Capstone: Mobility Modeling on Smartphones to Achieve Privacy by Design. 17th IEEE International Conference On Trust, Security And Privacy In Computing And Communications; 12th IEEE International Conference On Big Data Science And Engineering (TrustCom/BigDataSE), 964-971, 2018, .
- Bertil Chapuis, Benoît Garbinato. Geodabs: Trajectory Indexing Meets Fingerprinting at Scale. 38th IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS), 1086-1095, 2018, .
- Bertil Chapuis, Benoît Garbinato, Periklis Andritsos. An Efficient Type-Agnostic Approach for Finding Sub-sequences in Data. 19th IEEE International Conference on High Performance Computing and Communications; 15th IEEE International Conference on Smart City; 3rd IEEE International Conference on Data Science and Systems (HPCC/SmartCity/DSS), 270-277, 2017, .
- Vaibhav Kulkarni, Arielle Moro, Bertil Chapuis, Benoît Garbinato. Extracting Hotspots Without A-priori by Enabling Signal Processing over Geospatial Data. 25th ACM SIGSPATIAL International Conference on Advances in Geographic Information Systems, 79:1–79:4, 2017, .
- Vaibhav Kulkarni, Bertil Chapuis, Benoît Garbinato. Privacy-Preserving Location-Based Services by Using Intel SGX. First ACM International Workshop on Human-centered Sensing, Networking, and Systems (HumanSys), 13–18, 2017, .
- Bertil Chapuis, Benoît Garbinato, Lucas Mourot. A Horizontally Scalable and Reliable Architecture for Location-Based Publish-Subscribe. 36th IEEE Symposium on Reliable Distributed Systems (SRDS), 74-83, 2017, .
- Bertil Chapuis, Benoît Garbinato. Scaling and Load Testing Location-Based Publish and Subscribe. 37th IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS), 2543-2546, 2017, .
- Bertil Chapuis, Arielle Moro, Vaibhav Kulkarni, Benoît Garbinato. Capturing Complex Behaviour for Predicting Distant Future Trajectories. 5th ACM SIGSPATIAL International Workshop on Mobile Geographic Information Systems, 64–73, 2016, .
- Bertil Chapuis, Benoît Garbinato, Periklis Andritsos. Throughput: A Key Performance Measure of Content-Defined Chunking Algorithms. 36th IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems Workshops (ICDCSW), 7-12, 2016, .