I’m a passionate software engineer and researcher who loves hacking and collaborating at the intersection of several disciplines.
My area of expertise overlaps with location-aware computing, distributed systems, databases, data structures, network protocols and information security.
I recently completed a PhD in Information Systems at the University of Lausanne, where my research resulted in a thesis entitled "Three Temporal Perspectives on Decentralized Location-aware Computing: Past, Present, Future" .
In parallel to that, I co-founded Astrocast, a fast growing startup active in the Internet of Things.
Prior to that, I worked for several years in startups and as a freelance, successfully completing numerous projects in public transportion and watch making companies.
Early in my career, I have been exposed to extreme programming (XP) and open source development, which taught me the importance of test automation, build reproducibility and continuous integration.
I believe these practices greatly contribute at establishing a productive development environment.
I often experienced first hand the ups and downs of being (too?) curious, but I’m not getting tired of learning yet!
List of publications
- Mauro Cherubini, Alexandre Meylan, Bertil Chapuis, Mathias Humbert, Igor Bilogrevic, Kévin Huguenin. Towards Usable Checksums: Automating the Integrity Verification of Web Downloads for the Masses. 25th ACM SIGSAC Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS), 1256–1271, 2018, .
- Vaibhav Kulkarni, Arielle Moro, Bertil Chapuis, Benoît Garbinato. Capstone: Mobility Modeling on Smartphones to Achieve Privacy by Design. 17th IEEE International Conference On Trust, Security And Privacy In Computing And Communications; 12th IEEE International Conference On Big Data Science And Engineering (TrustCom/BigDataSE), 964-971, 2018, .
- Bertil Chapuis, Benoît Garbinato. Geodabs: Trajectory Indexing Meets Fingerprinting at Scale. 38th IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS), 1086-1095, 2018, .
- Bertil Chapuis, Benoît Garbinato, Periklis Andritsos. An Efficient Type-Agnostic Approach for Finding Sub-sequences in Data. 19th IEEE International Conference on High Performance Computing and Communications; 15th IEEE International Conference on Smart City; 3rd IEEE International Conference on Data Science and Systems (HPCC/SmartCity/DSS), 270-277, 2017, .
- Vaibhav Kulkarni, Arielle Moro, Bertil Chapuis, Benoît Garbinato. Extracting Hotspots Without A-priori by Enabling Signal Processing over Geospatial Data. 25th ACM SIGSPATIAL International Conference on Advances in Geographic Information Systems, 79:1–79:4, 2017, .
- Vaibhav Kulkarni, Bertil Chapuis, Benoît Garbinato. Privacy-Preserving Location-Based Services by Using Intel SGX. First ACM International Workshop on Human-centered Sensing, Networking, and Systems (HumanSys), 13–18, 2017, .
- Bertil Chapuis, Benoît Garbinato, Lucas Mourot. A Horizontally Scalable and Reliable Architecture for Location-Based Publish-Subscribe. 36th IEEE Symposium on Reliable Distributed Systems (SRDS), 74-83, 2017, .
- Bertil Chapuis, Benoît Garbinato. Scaling and Load Testing Location-Based Publish and Subscribe. 37th IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS), 2543-2546, 2017, .
- Bertil Chapuis, Arielle Moro, Vaibhav Kulkarni, Benoît Garbinato. Capturing Complex Behaviour for Predicting Distant Future Trajectories. 5th ACM SIGSPATIAL International Workshop on Mobile Geographic Information Systems, 64–73, 2016, .
- Bertil Chapuis, Benoît Garbinato, Periklis Andritsos. Throughput: A Key Performance Measure of Content-Defined Chunking Algorithms. 36th IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems Workshops (ICDCSW), 7-12, 2016, .